Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PML survival?
Jun 4, 2000

Doctor Feinberg,

My sister was diagnosed with AIDS/PML in June of 1999. She has lost the ability to speak and use her right hand. She was unable to walk and had some visual changes but after starting on an aggressive cocktail therapy she was able to recover some sight and the ability to walk. At the time of diagnosis the doctors told us she would not survive more than a few months at most because the PML was so advanced. It is now a year later and my sister is doing well healthwise though her mental capacity has not improved much. My question is about survival rate and what we as a family can expect. The doctors she sees don't have a lot of experience with PML and the new antiviral drugs and most of the information I find tells us that survival is 1-4 months at best. Do you have any information on what we can expect in the coming months and years? And where can I find more information about PML and the new antiviral drugs? I understand that she will probably always need full-time care for the rest of her life, but in order to make her life as enjoyable as possible we need to know what to plan for. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Powerful combination therapy for HIV has so changed the landscape that survival after PML can't be readily predicted now. It used to be a matter of months, but I think all bets are off. To be conservative, I'd advise you to imagine that she may live for years -- perhaps many years -- if she continues to take her HIV meds successfully. Don't give up all hope for some additional improvement, either, as it may happen. Good luck!

Previous
pain killers???
Next
Small white bumps on the hands and face

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.