Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Acute Pancreatitis

My best friend is in intensive care for acute pancreatitis and I'm very concerned about her and do not really understand what this even means. Could you please shed some light on this for me?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Pancreatitis is an infection or, more commonly, an inflammation of the pancreas, which is a digestive organ. The pancreas is responsible for breaking down carbohydrates and is also the body's source of insulin, which is essential for sugar and fat metabolism. There is no specific cure for this, just supportive care while someone recovers. Pancreatitis can be mild or severe and life-threatening. The most common cause of pancreatitis is alcohol abuse, but certain drugs and infections can also cause it.

Is hepC now considered an opportunistic infection in those with HIV?
parvovirus infection