Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Acute Pancreatitis
Jun 11, 2000

My best friend is in intensive care for acute pancreatitis and I'm very concerned about her and do not really understand what this even means. Could you please shed some light on this for me?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Pancreatitis is an infection or, more commonly, an inflammation of the pancreas, which is a digestive organ. The pancreas is responsible for breaking down carbohydrates and is also the body's source of insulin, which is essential for sugar and fat metabolism. There is no specific cure for this, just supportive care while someone recovers. Pancreatitis can be mild or severe and life-threatening. The most common cause of pancreatitis is alcohol abuse, but certain drugs and infections can also cause it.

Previous
Is hepC now considered an opportunistic infection in those with HIV?
Next
parvovirus infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.