Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV, herpes and candida.

After exposure to herpes, I have had many herpes outbreaks for 5 months. And also have had problems with candida infection since that time of herpes exposure and muscle aches in back, shoulder and neck. If I have been HIV+ for only two years could this exposure to herpes have progressed the damage to my immune system to the point that infections will not go away even with treatment? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your information wasn't entirely clear, but I gather that you've been HIV+ for 2 years and since then have developed recurrent herpes. Herpes can recur in HIV- people as well, and does not necessarily signal a damaged immune system. You should see a doctor and discuss the pros and cons of chronic suppressive therapy for herpes if you have had frequent, painful recurrences. The other choice is to treat each episode promptly as soon as you have the earliest symptoms of an impending outbreak, such as itching or tingling where the lesions usually appear.

PML Outside HIV patients?
opportunistic infection