|PML Outside HIV patients?
Jun 16, 2000
Dear Dr. Feinberg, My sister recently died. After much uncertainty during her treatment when she was diagnosed with ADEM, however, after her death post mortem tests diagnosed that she had died from PML. My sister was HIV negative, her symptoms differed somewhat from other cases about which I have read. How commonly do people die of PML when they are HIV negative or might there have been another cause of death?
Response from Dr. Feinberg
PML can occur in both HIV+ and HIV- people, but typically attacks people whose immune systems are not functioning properly, for whatever reason. It is pretty rare among HIV-s. Since there is no proven effective treatment for PML, it is usually a fatal disease in HIV-s as well as HIV+s.
HIV, herpes and candida.
- Odds Of Infection Sharing A Toothbrush
- Do Oral Ulcers Mean I Have Hiv?
- Ache In Testicles After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Bronchitis After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Jock Itch After Vaginal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Stinging Pain After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.