Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

CMV

Dr. Feinberg, I am a twenty-seven year old child care teacher and I work with infants, I've recently learned about CMV and how it is spread through urine. Since I work with infants can you tell me a little more about it, such as how can you tell that you have CMV do you constantly vomit like with AIDS, How could I tell if a child has CMV is it anything you can tell about the urine???

Response from Dr. Feinberg

This is not the appropriate place for an encyclopedic review of CMV in daycare settings. There are plenty of resources, including websites and textbooks. But the brief answer is that most young children have no symptoms of CMV infection, and some adults don't either. You should ask your doctor for a "CMV IgG" test, to see if you have already been infected. There is nothing you can do about it -- it's an infection that becomes inactive (latent) but may reactivate under certain circumstances (like getting or giving an organ transplant), and is therefore useful to know your status. If you get symptomatic CMV infection, it will most likely look like you have infectious mononucleosis (fever, aches, swollen glands, etc).

Opportunistic infection thresholds
is prophylaxis still standard treatment?