Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Nothing seems to work

I have been positive for one year and I'm not taking any meds. But I've been suffering from chronic vaginal bacterial infections before and after I tested positive. I've taken just about every form of med for it. The only thing it does is bring about yeast infections. It's a recycling thing and I'm so fed up. I don't wanna take any meds for my HIV -- my viral load is 1700o and T-cell 400. But I'm wondering if I do start meds will it help my problem? Or is there anything else I can do for it? for the record I am not sexually active at this moment.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like you may have recurring bacterial vaginosis, and while this can happen to women who are HIV-, it is more common among HIV+ women. It is very possible that starting HIV meds will improve your immune system sufficiently so that you are not bothered by this problem, although neither I nor anyone else can promise you that outcome.

Peeling skin
AIDS and it's relation to eye disease ie: glaucoma