Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Mosquito Bites Are Much Bigger Since AIDS

I wonder if AIDS has anything to do with how big and puffy mosquito bites are on my body this year. They are as big as a dime and puffy. In years past, mosquitoes didn't like me much and seemed to leave me alone. I'm a 46-year-old man -- probably had HIV for 10 years or more but just diagnosed when KS appeared last year. Started AZT, 3TC, and Norvir in Sept '99 and it worked very well in getting my viral load to undetectable. Every 3 weeks I get a shot of testosterone (delatestryl 200 mg) at the doctor's office. I work full-time in food service. I live in a small town in the Midwest.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know why your mosquito bites are bigger this year -- you've obviously had HIV infection for a long time, and I know of no association between bites and AIDS. Maybe the mosquitoes are meaner this year.

Signs of HIV?
Peeling skin