Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Signs of HIV?
Jun 29, 2000

Well I read all of the questions asked by other people, and I know I should just go ahead and get tested...BUT, about 7 months ago I had unprotected sex with this guy (I am female) and since then I've experienced these weird symptoms. I just want to know what your opinion is...I bruise easily, I have 4 very tiny red spots on my hands (about the size of a needle prick), they aren't raised up, just a red speck with some redness surrounding it.....very small though, and they've been there for about 4 months, I felt a blister (not painful) in my mouth that lasted 1-2 days, my lymph nodes just recently started feeling sore (happened yesterday) and I feel tired all the time. For about 3 months, my nose would run all the time, but I felt fine (I wasn't tired then) but literally, after every meal (not spicy ones) my nose would always run. I know I need to get tested, but what do you think about these symptoms, leukemia?, hiv?, mono?...My boyfriend says if he rubs up against me in the middle of the night, I'm burning up, but I don't sweat, and I've always been like that. My nails are brittle, and about 5 yrs ago I was told I was anemic. Lately my neck and back are sore. God, I know I'm freaking out, and that you'll tell me to just go get tested, and practice safe sex, but I'm so scared of what the results will be. PLEASE RESPOND!!!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

These symptoms are most likely anxiety or normal reactions(lots of people get runny noses with spicy food, including myself). There is no substitute for knowledge, and eating your heart out over every little twitch you experience isn't making you feel any better. So bite the bullet and.... get tested. The odds are you're HIV-, and if you're not, the sooner you find out and get treated, the better off you'll be.

Previous
How long can rectal ulcers last?
Next
Mosquito Bites Are Much Bigger Since AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.