Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

How long can rectal ulcers last?

I've been officially diagnosed with rectal ulcers and bleed everyday. My problem started in March and I have been under a GI's supervision since May. I have been put on asacol and steroid enemas. The enemas did not seem to be helping so predisone was given in it's place. I were ulcers, I was tested for sexually transmitted diseases and tests came back negative. Could the ulcers be the result of some sexually transmitted disease that they may have missed? The medications have helped me as far as comfort is concerned, but i'm in my fifth month of gas, irregular stool movements and not to mention bleeding from the ulcers. I feel like this will last the rest of my life. Is it possible it will?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Not very likely. It isn't possible to say how long the ulcers will last-- it all depends on what's causing them.

Cytomegalovirus symptoms
Signs of HIV?