Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long can rectal ulcers last?
Jul 19, 2000

I've been officially diagnosed with rectal ulcers and bleed everyday. My problem started in March and I have been under a GI's supervision since May. I have been put on asacol and steroid enemas. The enemas did not seem to be helping so predisone was given in it's place. I were ulcers, I was tested for sexually transmitted diseases and tests came back negative. Could the ulcers be the result of some sexually transmitted disease that they may have missed? The medications have helped me as far as comfort is concerned, but i'm in my fifth month of gas, irregular stool movements and not to mention bleeding from the ulcers. I feel like this will last the rest of my life. Is it possible it will?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Not very likely. It isn't possible to say how long the ulcers will last-- it all depends on what's causing them.

Previous
Cytomegalovirus symptoms
Next
Signs of HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.