Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Kaposi's Sarcoma

Dr. Feinberg,

A friend of mine has Kaposi's Sarcoma. I have read about the skin lesions, but I can't seem to find much information about it when it is found in the body. My friend has no skin lesions. He was diagnosed because he legs were swollen and his back hurt. The doctors biopsied his lymph nodes. Anyway, is it worse to have KS internally? Can it be life threatening? My friend was on chemo (2 times a month for about 6 months) and was taken off chemo after that time. After a month or so my friend had a fever and his legs began swelling again. He is now back with chemo. Why is the KS internal rather than external? And where can I get more information on this?

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Unfortunately, it is worse to have KS internally than on the skin and mucous membranes (like the lining of the mouth). It isn't known why some people get KS on the skin and others get it internally, and some people get it in both places. This kind of KS is treated with chemotherapy, although I think that maximizing antiretroviral therapy at the same time can only help. You can get more information on this through the resources and links available at The Body as a start. Good luck to you and your friend.

No One Knows What It Is !
kaposi sarcoma