Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

anal warts

Dear Dr. Feinberg

thanks for answering this question. I am a 44 year old male and became infected in 96. Started cocktail in 97. T-cell count 950 and and undetectable viral load. (Thank god and the doctors). For two years I noticed two small warts on my anus. I am just to embarrassed to tell my female doctor about it. Lately I started reading some articles regarding a link of this virus causing warts and anal cancer. Should I be really concerned? Since this papilloma virus does not disappear am I still at risk even if I would have the warts removed? And finally my last question, is there an over the counter medicine which I could successfully apply? Thanks again.

New Yorker

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Tell your doctor! It won't embarrass her, and if it does, then you need another doctor. Warts indicate HPV infection, and while some risk for anal cancer does not disappear when the warts are removed, you'll be relieved when they're gone. If your doctor knows about it, then she can monitor you for the development of anal cancer by doing anal Pap smears. There is nothing that I know of that really works that is non-prescription.

breathing problems
MAI - Tell me more