Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

candida esophagus

I recently went to the doctor and found out I had candida esophagus.I was told It is from the hiv virus.I was so scared that I did not let him do a hiv test. I have been married for 16 years and I have only slept with my husband and he has only been with me, but I did get a belly button ring and the dr said I probably got it from that.I have been absolutely out of my mind with fear.IS there anything else that can cause this? I haven't been on any medications he checked me for hepatitis it was negative. he checked my thyroid 3 different times . what else could it be. Please help me I am going nuts. What could have caused this?????

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Candida esophagitis does not happen to people with normal immune systems, so I suspect your immune system has been damaged by something, and the possibilities certainly include HIV. If you do have HIV, you won't do yourself any good by worrying about it -- get tested, there is no substitute for knowledge, and take your husband to get tested along with you. Somewhere along the way one of you may have been infected by someone, either before your marriage or during it, and the belly button ring is not the most likely source. Good luck!

Gonorrhea and HIV
breathing problems