Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

candida esophagus
Jul 19, 2000

I recently went to the doctor and found out I had candida esophagus.I was told It is from the hiv virus.I was so scared that I did not let him do a hiv test. I have been married for 16 years and I have only slept with my husband and he has only been with me, but I did get a belly button ring and the dr said I probably got it from that.I have been absolutely out of my mind with fear.IS there anything else that can cause this? I haven't been on any medications he checked me for hepatitis it was negative. he checked my thyroid 3 different times . what else could it be. Please help me I am going nuts. What could have caused this?????

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Candida esophagitis does not happen to people with normal immune systems, so I suspect your immune system has been damaged by something, and the possibilities certainly include HIV. If you do have HIV, you won't do yourself any good by worrying about it -- get tested, there is no substitute for knowledge, and take your husband to get tested along with you. Somewhere along the way one of you may have been infected by someone, either before your marriage or during it, and the belly button ring is not the most likely source. Good luck!

Previous
Gonorrhea and HIV
Next
breathing problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.