Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my new boyfriend is neg. and I am pos. what to do
Jul 19, 2000

I meet a guy one day before I knew that I was HIV positive after I went to the Dr.'s and came home I called him and he came over I told him that I was HIV positive and he stayed with me. It has be 4 months since I found out and I got sick 2 weeks ago . Ever since then he has acted distant and we have been having relationship problems. He just recently told me that he is too afraid to get it, but he loves me and doesn't want to leave and he said hes to afraid to get the virus. It is true that if we have protected sex that he can't get the virus right? That's why he's scared. We both recently turned 20 years old. I just don't know what to do

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Using a condom religiously will certainly improve the odds against getting HIV, but truthfully, there is no absolute 100% guarantee that a partner will not get HIV even if all the right precautions are taken. For example, a condom can break. He'll have to struggle with the uncertainty and then decide for himself if even a very small risk is one he's willing to take.

Previous
genital warts,or cervical canser whých one is oi?
Next
Gonorrhea and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.