Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

pcp and travel

my brother just got out of the hospital for pcp and respiratory distress as a result. he was in for 35 days in intensive care but is getting and feeling better. we do not yet know his counts but when taken in the hospital his t count was 100 after the pcp . we have been planning a cruise in late august and are not sure if he will be able to go. is it risky for him to travel on a cruise ship to caribbean? he has never been on a cruise and we thought that it would be good for him but dont want to put him in danger. thank you for this and the other questions and answers, they were very informative to us.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Hopefully your brother will be on combination therapy for HIV well before August and will be feeling better overall, with better blood test results. As long as he stays on the ship, or takes precautions to only drink bottled water and not to eat fresh fruit and vegetables if you spend some time ashore, then I don't think there should be a problem. Once he's had PCP, he will certainly need daily medicine to keep it from coming back, in addition to the HIV drugs. I hope you all enjoy your trip together!

Inflamed liver
What's going on?