Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Confused about genital herpes on my thigh.

I have had a small group of lesions on my thigh that have been reoccuring for about 4 years. I was recently told that this was genital herpes. I have never had any symptoms of herpes in my genital area before. How can I have this diagnosis now and can I transmit this sexually if I do not wear a condom?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Herpes can sometimes occur on skin surfaces that are near but not quite within the genital area, and it is possible that you don't get genital outbreaks. You can transmit the herpes to a partner if your lesions are active and if your partner's genital area comes into contact with the lesions.

JC Virus, needle stick