Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Cuts and healing

Dear Doctor Feinberg

A few questions :

1]I have found since I am HIV+ [7 months since infection] that cuts and sores take much longer to heal, and even small cuts leave a scar. Is this normal ? CD4 ~630

2]My hair and skin have also become very dry. What can I do to resolve this ?

3]A few of my nails are splitting, and the curvature of the nail bed is distorting as time progresses [ becoming increasingly 'wavy'].

4]In addition dark splotches under my skin are appearing on my feet, hands and chest. They are not raised - just discoloured normal skin.Are these the pre-cursor of KS ?

I was an extremely healthy individual prior to this, and never experiencd any other these minor ailments previously.Are the above manifestations of HIV normal so early on in HIV infection ?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no data that show that people with HIV heal less well, and think that would be especially unlikely with high T cells. Dry skin and nail problelms are associated with the use of indinavir, but not specifically with HIV itself. I have seen people's hair get less curly and finer/softer, especially in the days when AZT alone was commonly used, but not dry hair. There are no known KS "precursor" lesions, and the splotches are probably just skin discoloration.

?peripheral neuropathy
basal cell vs ks?