Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Why don't i get better???

I hope you can help me with this one. I have been sick off and on for the last three months with a respitory infection. I have been to my doctor three times so far for this and he has yet to take a chest x ray. He keeps telling me it is just a cold because I am not running a fever. I have been prescribe antibiotics twice already and it seems like I am better and then within a few weeks I am coughing up green phlegm again. I am extremely tired, wheezing, and have pain in my upper right back near my shoulder blade and my HIV specialist is aware of all of this and he keeps telling me it is just a cold and it will go away. Last week I couldn't remember what year it was and had to look it up to find out. I keep getting confused about the day of the week now too. (I don't know if this is just the emotional toll of being sick for about three months now, or just something else.) Everywhere I go, people keep saying "you are still sick???" My tcells are 292 and about 6 months ago my doctor took me off of bactrim which I had been taking for about two years since my t cells had gone below 200 before that. I take viracept, d4t and 3tc. Please help???

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The greatest likelihood is that you have recurrent bronchitis, which is why you are coughing up junky phlegm and don't feel good but don't have a fever. Sometimes these respiratory infections hang around for a long time, but if I were your doctor I'd probably get a chest X-ray at this point, especially because your T cells aren't very high even though they are above 200. I suggest you press your doctor for additional evaluation. Does he know about the memory problems you've described?

HIV+ volunteer caregiver--am I at risk?
Kaposi's Sarcoma