Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Neuropathy? Dementia?

What causes this? And do you have lymphnodes on the back of your head? And should they feel swollen. I am hiv pos and take meds. I am undetectible but ive heard hiv goes to your brain,what does it do to it? Can it make you forget alot?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

"Neuropathy" in HIV disease is really "peripheral neuropathy"-- a process that affects the feet first, and in some cases, the hands. What you are referring to when you say that HIV "goes to the brain" is dementia (also called HIV encephalopathy). This is a condition where memory loss, problems concentrating, and general slowing occurs. Neither neuropathy nor dementia are related to swollen neck nodes; that is just a general way that HIV manifests itself.

sweating
KS?