Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lymph system
Apr 18, 2001

Please tell me why there arent more studies ith the lymph system. I have an enlarged perotid node by my right ear ahve been taking meds it has not gone down. 1.does hiv replicate in the nodes making it swell or 2 are they swollen because they are fighting too fast for drainage I have tried all sorts of drainage techiques but not worked and I have the feeling that it is hiv attacking the lymph but not sure I had a neck lymph biopsied and they found nothing and just said it was very reactive I also read that there is more lymph fluid in the body than blood .do the meds i.e. zerit epivir and viramune also go to the lymph system or do they just fight it in the blood stream. thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Many many disease processes involve lymph nodes, including HIV and other infections. HIV does indeed replicate in lymph nodes which is why they look "reactive" when examined closely, because cells in the lymph node are reacting to the presence of the HIV. The only reason to drain a lymph node is when it is full of pus, so don't monkey around with your nodes. The HIV drugs get into your blood and from there, into other body systems-- they don't only have an effect on the blood compartment.

Previous
penis 'pimples'?
Next
chronic upper back aches

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.