Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

MAC

I have a rare form of chronic leukemia, that causes severe chronic neutropenia. I have been on neuprogen (on & off) since being diagnosed in 1997. Even being on neuprogen, my neutrophil count ranged between 200 and 500 until October 2000. Since then, my neutrophil count has been in the normal range.

In July 2000 I was diagnosed with MAC. My most recent CT scan showed that the MAC appeared the same as my CT scan in October 2000. I am not taking any MAC medicine at this time. I am wondering what is the likelihood of the MAC disappearing completely from my lungs, if my neutrophil count continues to remain in the normal range.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I can't give you a firm answer on this. Certainly maintaining a normal white blood cell count will be your best hope of eliminating the MAC disease, but I cannot promise you that such will be the case.

AIDS stages
MAC