Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Opportunistic arthritis

DR Feinberg Is it possible to be infected with hiv and have joint pain in the hands and feet, or is this a sign of neuropathy. These pains are not continuous, they occur for a few days then subside then come back. Info sugests Reiter's syndrome. What are your thoughts?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Joint pains in the hands and feet are not indicative of peripheral neuropathy. What you are describing are arthralgias (pain in joints)-- it's not clear to me that you have arthritis (swelling, heat, loss of mobility as well as pain due to inflammation in the joint). I suggest that you see a physician for evaluation.

HIV 1/2 follow up
Night Sweats?