Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV 1/2 follow up

Dr. Feinberg: Thank you for addressing my original question regarding HIV 1/2. I had a potential exposure 3 years ago. Tested HIV negative at 6 months, 2-3/4 years and 3 years. I have read that some individuals demonstrate an impaired ability to make antibodies. Therefore HIV tests would not detect the virus if in fact it was present. My follow up questions are: 1. Could you explain what this means? 2. How do you know from medical history if you are one of those individuals or not? Thank you for your consideration.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The initial phase of testing depends on antibodies, but the confirmatory test (Western blot) depends on the presence of viral proteins. I think the information that you got was incorrect.

fungus on tongue
Opportunistic arthritis