Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

crptyococcal antigen results
Apr 13, 2001

What should my crptococcal antigen value be given my circumstances? I was hospitalized in Oct. 2000 for 4 weeks with cryptococcol meningitis, taking amphotericin B, released and have been taking fluconozole for about 18 weeks. My docs keep saying the test results "value" is high but I don't know what the normal value or low value should be. In December my cryptococcol antigen value was 1:13000 and now is 1:32768. better? My CD4 count in the hospital was 48 and is now 129, viral load now at 950 copies. I take viracept, videx EC, zerit, zithromax, fluconozole, aerosolized pentamidine, and claritin. I don't want to relapse. Can you suggest any added therapies? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I am assuming that this is your serum antigen titer and not the titer in your cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Although the latter is more accurate and predictive, it requires a spinal tap to obtain CSF. The current value sounds like 1-2 tube dilutions away from the earlier, lower value, and that can be within the range for how the accuracy of this test. A normal value would be zero, since it's not 'normal' to have cryptococcal infection.

I don't think there is anything else you should be doing except to take your medications faithfully. Your viral load and T cells are all moving the right directions, so stick with the program.

Previous
MAC in the Neck!
Next
seroconversion symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.