Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

mixed feedback
Apr 13, 2001

I am really confused about the effects of HIV in the blood and am confused by information I have read. Would HIV in the early stages produce an increase in white blood cells since your body is trying to fight infection? Would any of the normal bloodwork in a CBC show any signs to indicate a problem? I am baffled by symptoms of white phlegmy mucous with cough and severe swollen lymph nodes that are extremely painful which have been present for one year. HIV Test negative but done early. Scared to retest as almost convinced of HIV. The more i read, the worse I feel. All of this occurred after dental surgery as well as possible exposure ( same timing ). Is there any non-HIV possibility that could last this long? Hope you can answer this. It is the 5th time I have written and have never received one answer and time is flying by and I'm scared. Thanks for your work.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You didn't get an answer before because this forum isn't aimed at people who are worried about whether they're HIV+ or not-- it's for people to ask about the treatment & prevention of OIs.

Nonetheless, I feel bad that you keep writing, so here's my advice: lymphocyte (a kind of white blood cell) counts typically decrease with HIV infection. If you are worried about possible having HIV, then get retested-- that's the only way to know for sure.

Previous
Immune suppression, anal warts
Next
MAC in the Neck!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.