Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

mixed feedback

I am really confused about the effects of HIV in the blood and am confused by information I have read. Would HIV in the early stages produce an increase in white blood cells since your body is trying to fight infection? Would any of the normal bloodwork in a CBC show any signs to indicate a problem? I am baffled by symptoms of white phlegmy mucous with cough and severe swollen lymph nodes that are extremely painful which have been present for one year. HIV Test negative but done early. Scared to retest as almost convinced of HIV. The more i read, the worse I feel. All of this occurred after dental surgery as well as possible exposure ( same timing ). Is there any non-HIV possibility that could last this long? Hope you can answer this. It is the 5th time I have written and have never received one answer and time is flying by and I'm scared. Thanks for your work.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You didn't get an answer before because this forum isn't aimed at people who are worried about whether they're HIV+ or not-- it's for people to ask about the treatment & prevention of OIs.

Nonetheless, I feel bad that you keep writing, so here's my advice: lymphocyte (a kind of white blood cell) counts typically decrease with HIV infection. If you are worried about possible having HIV, then get retested-- that's the only way to know for sure.

Immune suppression, anal warts
MAC in the Neck!