Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

P24 Ag & EIA hiv antibody question

Dear Dr. , First, I commend you on your dedication to this forum - your hard work is greatly appreciated. 1) What do you think the combination of P24 Ag test & EIA ab test (Murex 1.2.0 kit),both negative, would be 3 months after a high risk exposure in terms of ruling in/out hiv infection ? I must say I've had ARS-like symptoms(fatigue, low grade fever, joint aches(knees) and legs, nausea, sore throat) for 6 weeks now,not all the symptoms lasting that long. 2) I've heard that the P24 Ag test would turn positive only 6 days before the antibody test, is that true ? 3) Would you recommend a PCR test or further testing ? Your answer is of a huge help, because I don't live in the US and doctors here are not very well used to these problems. With the greatest thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If they're both negative I think it's highly unlikely that you are HIV+. It is not true that p24 becomes + 6 days before the antibody test.

Chills and nosebleed
HIV and Molluscum