Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

liver failure & AIDS
Mar 28, 2001

My brother diagnosed with Hiv 1988 and AIDS t-cell at that time was 200. today tc-25; viral load 190,000; He has cirrhosis; DIC; and open ulcer in his leg; and a mass in his liver. doctors says he has no hope, they have send him to hospice care. He is not on any antiviral medications; only used them in 1999 for a while. Doctors say that is hopeless. Do you think that he still has a chance for treatment? Thanks!! His sister in texas

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If the mass in his liver is cancer, then unfortunately his doctor is correct in saying there is nothing that can be done. People with cirrhosis are prone to developing liver cancer. The DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation, a severe clotting problem) also indicates that his liver is pretty far gone. I wish I could give you more hopeful information, but his situation doesn't sound good to me. As his liver disease progresses he may act like he's 'out of it', due to the liver's inability to break down body substances that are toxic to the brain. This may be the way you'll know that there is little time left. Get as much support as you both need to get through what lies ahead. Hospice services are very good in helping both patients and their families come to terms with the inevitable-- you can rely on the hospice staff for help.

Previous
Throat discomfort
Next
HIV POS...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.