Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Could this be a sign of an OI?

Hi doctor, thanks for your contribution to this highly informative site. I am HIV pos CD count is 616 and viral load is 4900. Recently I spit out a lot of sputum and I have noticed that there is a thick blackish lining in most of the sputum. My chest is sometimes painful but I do not have a cough. I am not exposed to extreme dust or any other such substance. Can you please give me an idea of what this might be, have you ever seen a similar case? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know what is causing to spit out blackish-tinged sputum but it does not sound like an OI and I have not seen a similar case before. I suggest you see your doctor for a more complete history and an exam.

Concerning Rapid Hiv Test
Throat discomfort