For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

CMV and Pregnancy

I am now 12 weeks pregnant. I have done my blood tests and found out that I have positive Cytomegalovirus in IGM and IGG . What are the risks for the baby, what precautions should I take, are there any treatments? Thanks for your reply.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your blood test just means that you have been infected with CMV in the past (it's a common infection). This poses no risk to you or the baby if your immune system is normal. If you have HIV, then specific monitoring is indicated and treatment for HIV is essential.

tonsillitis and hiv
Concerning Rapid Hiv Test