Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

tonsillitis and hiv

Hello doctor. Is tonsillitis and difficulty swallowing for 3 months a common condition shortly(2 months) after HIV infection? I was treated for tonsillitis and given a big injection of benicillin that did absolutely nothing for my difficulty swallowing/swollen lymph nodes in neck. Could opportunistic infections hit the newly infected in such a constant manner? I mean this difficulty swallowing just won't go away. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Tonsillits itself is not associated with HIV, but not everything that causes difficulty swallowing is tonsillitis. This may be due to oral or esophageal candidiasis (thrush), or to other diseases that affect the back of the throat and esophagus in HIV+s. It is possible to have HIV-related symptoms 2 months after being infected, so get tested if you're concerned about HIV. Good luck!

shingles
CMV and Pregnancy