Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Swollen Breast/lymph node

1 1/2 yrs. ago, prior to my HIV+ diagnosis, I had a very tender, enlarged right breast. As a man, this worried me. Once I was diagnosed with HIV, my doctor didn't seem to be concerned about it. After a couple of months on the meds, the swelling and pain subsided. Now, I am experiencing swelling and pain in

left breast over the past couple of weeks. Is this something to worry about? I just recently had my meds changed from Viracept to Sustiva. My TCell count is around 400+ and my VL is only 140 at last count. Is there anything that can be done to bring down the swelling? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like you may be experiencing gynecomastia, which is swelling (and sometimes, tenderness) of breast tissue that men have as well as women. Usually it's a benign process, but since men can get breast cancer too I usually send men with these comlaints for a mammogram, just to make sure.

shingles
What are the first physical signs of Aids?