Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how long before HIV becomes AIDS?
Mar 21, 2001

I am wondering how long hiv can be present in the body before it becomes aids. i once heard that it was ten years but wouldnt an hiv infected person show signs of infection well before that. can a person develop full blown aids after a short period of hiv infection. i just want to educate myself and have peace of mind.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

On average, without medication for HIV, it takes about 8-10 years to develop AIDS after being infected with HIV. However, the patterns of how people get sick are quite variable. Having "AIDS" means that you have developed one of the conditions characteristic of advanced HIV disease, but it can also mean simply that you have fewer than 200 CD4 cells according to the case definition used by the U.S. Public Health Service. People can indeed show signs of infection before that and often do. The signs include medical problems such as oral or vaginal thrush, shingles, bacterial pneumonia, and unexplained fever and weight loss. Some people, however, drift below 200 CD4 cells without any associated illnesses. Many people have had found out they are infected with HIV because they get hospitalized with one of the AIDS-defining conditions, such as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP).

Previous
skin problems with ARS
Next
T cell lymphoma in HIV+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.