Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

toxoplasmosis with negative antibody?

A few years ago I was told that I had toxoplasmosis-Recently I was given an a test to see if I had toxo-antibodies and the test was negative-when I was diagnosed when I had twelve t-cells-Is this why I never developed anti bodies?- or is it possible that I never actually had toxo? Please respond-I am very confused

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Sometimes if a person's immune system is sufficiently damaged, s/he may not react normally and produce antibodies to a given germ. In my experience, a negative toxoplamosis antibody is not really reliable to make a diagnosis of toxo when the person is actually sick or even after s/he has recovered-- it's as if there is a 'glitch' in the system.

When you had 12 T cells, if you had neurological problems, an abnormal CT or MRI brain scan, and recovered after being specifically treated for toxo, then it is highly likely that you HAD toxo, whether the antibody test is positive or not.

Eye & Skin Problems
Blood Transfusion despite virus in lymph nodes and brain