Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

changing meds because of diarrhea?

I am hiv pos but I am undetectible and my tcells are 480 well my doctor wants to change my meds due to diahrea. I am on viracept and combivir and have diahrea all the time. It doesnt bug me much but my question is is it bad for me could it cause future problems always haveing diahrea. I am scared to change meds because of side affects to new meds. plus im doing good why change?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your doctor is probably concerned about the toll your chronic diarrhea takes on you-- the inconvenience and the possibility of dehydration. There are some new medications available now that have fewer side effects than nelfinavir (Viracept). I understaand that you don't want to 'rock the boat' since your T cells and viral load are doing beautifully, but if you would be more comfortable, why not consider a change? If you don't like the new medication you can always go back to nelfinavir. However, the choice is clearly yours-- your doctor is just giving you another option.

sarcoidosis and fever in HIV+
esophagitis