Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

Hello Doc's, I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. Around Christmas time my inner ear suddenly clogged up. (Similar to going up in an unpressurized airplane) My doctor tried a course of antibiotics but it didn't clear up. He refered me to an ENT at Cedar's who, over the last couple of months, has tried, Duratuss G and GP, a different course of antibiotics, Flonase, Zyrtec and a 2 week course of Prednisone (60 mg. / day) all with no results. He has done pressure tests which are all normal and has diagnosed me with, "Eustachian Tube disfunction". Frankly, I don't care what he wants to call it, I just want it to go away. I'm at a complete loss for what to do next. All my tests come back "normal" but there is clearly something "abnormal" going on here. Also, the problem seems to be worse in the evening hours for some reason. Incidently, my VL is undetectable and my cd4 is 485, no other problems. This is driving me crazy and now I am getting razzed at work for constantly making yawning gestures to try and get my ear to pop. Any ideas on what to do next?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Frankly, I don't know exactly what to do at this point-- I don't know what he means by "Eustachian tube dysfunction". I suggest a course of decongestant therapy, pure and simple, which it doesn't sound like you got, except for whatever is in the Duratuss. You could also seek a second opinion from a different ENT doc. Good luck!

Visual Changes in Early HIV Infection
Is Syphilis R190 or R90 an OI?