Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Visual Changes in Early HIV Infection
Mar 11, 2001

Dr. Feinberg, I've recognized, through HIV-related discussions and internet readings, that many HIV+ patients develop floaters (vitreous fiber condensation 'cobweb type') in early HIV infection.

I believe this is because of the immune system's recovery after ARS and the associated inflammatory response. This condition seems to be similar to documented HIV uveitis experienced by HIV patients after initiating HAART.

My hypothesis is that the occurence of multi-focal cobweb-like floaters after ARS, in treatment naive HIV+ patients, is caused by the inflammatory response associated with immune system reconstitution after ARS.

Your thoughts please.

DISCLAIMER: I understand that floaters are, nonspecific develops and a common part of the aging process and that HIV- as well as HIV+ develop them.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The mechanism you propose might be responsible if HIV directly infected retinal cells, and the subsequent immune response were directed at those cells. I know of no data that indicate that retinal cells are infected by HIV, but some brain cells are permissive for HIV infection and the eye is, in a manner of speaking, an anatomic extension of the brain.

Previous
red rash
Next
Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.