Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

more questions about HIV & sarcoidosis

I was the one who ased about sarcoidosis and hiv . this past week i found some new bumps on my arm. Do you think its just my sarcoidosis comeing out? I always worry that it is somethig bad from hiv. of course i am undetectible and tcells of 600. today they seem to be alot smaller. Do they come and go like that? or do they go inside of you somewhere. Again my doc. never addresses this issue only my hiv. if he is an infefctious disease doc. does he know anything abou sarcoidosis?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Sarcaoidosis can have many different manifestations, including various skin conditions. Technically speaking, if your doctor has been trained in infectious diseases, he should have first trained in internal medicine. This training should have provided him with the background to help you manage your sarcoisosis as well, but some subspecialists wind up spending so much time away from their basic training that they are no longer comfortable dealing with problems ouside their subspecialty. If this is the case, then get a referral to someone whose current expertise includes sarcoidosis.

It is possible that your sracoidosis may flare when your T cells are high (meaning your immunesystem is working better) and your viral load is not detectable. This is because the manifestations of sarcoidosis depend on a functioning immune system for expression. So as you continue to do well with your HIV, you may well need active oversight by a knowledgeable doctor for your sarcoidosis. With your current HIV status, it is highly unlikely that any clinical problem will be directly related to your HIV, so you should relax on that score.

HIV+ and kidney transplant
survival with PML?