Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

LOW T-Cell Count

My partner was diagnosed a few months ago with AIDS. His T-cell count was almost 0, unfortunately the lab lost the initial viral load count, but obviously it was extremely high. He has been on HAART for almost 4 months and his viral load is apparently "undectectable" in his tests. He also has MAC and has been taking the MAC "cocktail" for 2 months. His lungs have cleared dramatically, but his doctor basically told me that with his t-cell count so low it will very likely never rise to normal levels. Is this true. Are we just biding our time or is it possible to raise his t-cell count to levels that will exceed 100?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is certainly possible for his T cells to rise well above 100, but it make take time, so be patient. I have seen patients' T cells improve to the lower limit of normal over time with good HIV therapy.

HIV+ with HIV- partner
HIV+ and kidney transplant