Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV+ with HIV- partner

Dear Dr.

I have just recently tested positive and started on drug therapy. I have a T-Cell count of 130 and a viral load of 136,000. Despite this I have absolutely no symptoms.

My partner and I who are monogamous and have not had safe sex up till this point need some guidance. While we understand what is considered safer for the negative partner in sexual relations, I am less clear about the risk to me the positive partner.

What activities run a risk of me contracting an Opportunistic infection from him. My partner has been completly supportive but this is hurting our sex life.

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Just as he is at risk for getting HIV from you, you are at risk for getting other STDs from him, and other infections can stimulate your HIV to grow. For example, you can get hepatitis B through sexual contact,as well as HPV (the virus that causes warts). The best thing to do is to use condoms faithfully.

I recomend that the two of you learn how to make condom use sexy. There are educational aids that describe possible techniques. You don't need to abandon your sex life, but both of you need to be cognizant of what taking unnecessary risks can mean. Good luck!

mac without aids
LOW T-Cell Count