Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

plantar warts
Mar 8, 2001

Dear Judith Feinberg,M.D. I am hiv+ & have really bad plantar warts on both feet. My doctor has tried freezing, acid treatments & electro-cauterie, but nothing seems to work. She is suggesting that I pursue laser surgery. Would you concur? Any ideas?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I have also seen aggressive plantar warts (as well as genital warts) in HIV+s, including patients whose viral load is not detectable and whose T cells have improved. I don't know enough about laser surgery in this situation, but it's worth pursuing to get more information. Interferon therapy has been used in HIV-s with severe anogenital warts with some short-term success. I tried beta interferon therapy in one of my patients with severe plantar and finger warts, but it didn't do much. This is a tough situation.

Previous
leg cramps and enlarged belly
Next
Pus on Tonsils

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.