Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Tremor in Hand, progressive symptoms

My husband is 31 yrs old and was diagnosed with HIV in July of '99. At that time his VL=>500,000, CD4=48, he had PCP and weighed 156 lbs at 6' tall. He started taking Crixivan and Combivir and Bactrim immediately. His numbers now are VL=undetectable and CD4=420, weighs 200 lbs, and stopped taking bactrim. He's been doing very well, but recently some things haven't seemed quite right. His memory isn't as good as it used to be. He has night sweats every so often. He has complained about tingling in his hands that comes and goes. This last weekend, he had a spell where his left hand shook so bad he couldn't eat with it. It was gone after 5 - 10 sec. I'm just wondering if this could be a sign of something worse coming. I plan on bringing this to his doc's attention at his next quarterly numbers appt. in 2 weeks. Until then, I was hoping for some information so that I can prepare questions and concerns. Thank you so much for your help now, and in the past.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I am not sure what's going on with your husband. He needs a thorough physical exam including neurologic function, and probably a CT or MRI scan of the brain for starters. It is also possible that his symptoms are not due to an HIV-associated illness, but to something else. Good luck! Let me know what happens.

pnuemonia of unknown origin
Incubation Period of Cryptococcal Meniningitis