Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV+ with sarcoidosis

I am hiv pos as of feb 99. Abot a year before that i had a lump on my wrist i found out itws sorcodosis have you heard of that? I woner if that is something that happens to hiv people sometimes? My doctor realy never mentions about my sorcodosis affecting my hiv or says its life threatening. Is tha true?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think you mean "sarcoidosis", which is an inflammatory disease of unknown cause. It is unusual for it to be severe enough to be life-threatening. It is not associated with HIV, just a coincidence. Depending on where the sarcoidosis manifests, it may not need to be treated, but when it causes problems patients usually get medication to suppress their immune system. I have only seen one case of a person with HIV and sarcoidosis-- the sarcoidosis came first and stopped causing problems when he became immunosuppressed as a result of his HIV (although this was in the pre-protease inhibitor era).

mac
shingles vs herpes?