Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

symptoms of CMV ?

Have been HIV+ for approx., 16 years, no meds. Fem. I am quite unwell with anemia, fatigue, sensory neuropathy, hair loss. For several days I have been experiencing slight temperature with upset stomach. Then I started having an eye problem. My eye feels as if it has something in it - like a grain of sand. A film also occasionally goes over my eye. My vision is slightly blurred. Could this be CMV retinitis. I was told symptoms don't usually include feeling like there is something in the eye. I have looked at the eye and haven't seen anything in it. Whatever infection it is, how do I prevent it from going into the other eye??

Any information appreciated.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

CMV retinitis occurs in the back of the eye, and so does not feel like a grain of sand in the front of the eye. If your CD4cells are very low (less than 50), then you should be checked every 4-6 months or so by an experienced eye doctor to make sure you haven't developed CMV retinitis, since it can lead to blindness. Since you have a growing number of HIV-related problems, you should rethink why you are not on medication for HIV.

more than 15 years since possible exposure
BIO SYNDROME