Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

symptoms of CMV ?
Mar 5, 2001

Have been HIV+ for approx., 16 years, no meds. Fem. I am quite unwell with anemia, fatigue, sensory neuropathy, hair loss. For several days I have been experiencing slight temperature with upset stomach. Then I started having an eye problem. My eye feels as if it has something in it - like a grain of sand. A film also occasionally goes over my eye. My vision is slightly blurred. Could this be CMV retinitis. I was told symptoms don't usually include feeling like there is something in the eye. I have looked at the eye and haven't seen anything in it. Whatever infection it is, how do I prevent it from going into the other eye??

Any information appreciated.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

CMV retinitis occurs in the back of the eye, and so does not feel like a grain of sand in the front of the eye. If your CD4cells are very low (less than 50), then you should be checked every 4-6 months or so by an experienced eye doctor to make sure you haven't developed CMV retinitis, since it can lead to blindness. Since you have a growing number of HIV-related problems, you should rethink why you are not on medication for HIV.

Previous
more than 15 years since possible exposure
Next
BIO SYNDROME

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.