Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

more than 15 years since possible exposure

Dr. Feinberg, before i ask my question, let me say thank you for taking time out of your day to answer our questions, i feel safe in saying its a great help to all of us, now, onto my question. Way back in 1985 or 1986 i did a foolish thing, i had unprotected vaginal intercourse, all i do remember was that it was very brief, no more than 30 seconds tops. Although i knew it was wrong, it never worried me, i did have an HIV test<negative> but, i cannot remember if it was before or after the act itself. A few years later i heard a doctor on the radio say that fever was a telltale sign of hiv infection, since that moment i've lived in panic mode. I know the only way i'm going to resolve this fear is getting myself retested, based on what i told you about the act and the time involved i'm just wondering what you think about me possibly being infected or not, thanks for your time

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think the odds of being infected are vanishingly remote, but get retested for peace of mind.

shingles
symptoms of CMV ?