Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Re: Sed Rate

Dr. I'm a person who has trouble accepting my HIV-antibody test 13mo after possible exposure, due to symtoms I think are consistant with HIV. My GP told me the same thing about sed rate and hiv (mine is also a one.)Given these results after 13mo., can I absolutely put this to rest?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

As I said before, sed rates are pretty non-specific. They reflect the presence of inflammation, whether its due to an infection or some other condition that causes inflammation. While it seems less likely to have such a low sed rate if you're HIV+, I have definitely seen low numbers like this before. So, if you want to rely on your test results for an answer, if i were you I'd rely in the HIV test itself, and not the sed rate.

HIV strains in turkey
Is is true?