Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

sed rate

Dr. Feinberg

I recently had blood work done including my sed rate wich was 1. I was told that even though this is not an HIV test that if I had HIV this number would probably have been higher. Do you agree with this? I was told that a high sed rate would indicate an infection or inflamation in the body so since HIV is an infection would this sed rate USUALLY(I know everyone is different) be higher than 1. I have now asked a couple of doctors and they seem to agree that a sed rate would be higher than 1 with HIV infection and would apreciate your opinion.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I agree with the other doctors you asked-- it is likely that the sed rate would be higher than one if you were infected. But I've seen normal sed rates in HIV+s and 1 is a normal sed rate, so if you are concerned that you may be infected you should not rely on a test as non-specific as this.

Head nodes
Thank You!