Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

GI troubles
Feb 25, 2001

I've been having trouble with stomach pain and diarrhea for just over a month now. T-cells 40, vl 125,000. Doc prescribed Lomotil and says to let him know if it gets worse. The pain is located just to the left of my bellybutton. I also experience a sense of urgency (no opportunity to delay trips to the restroom)and am having stools at least 10 times a day. It even wakes me from sleep at night. I haven't traveled anywhere, but we do have untreated spring water and have been renovating an old barn lately. These are the only "risk" factors I know of. What should I do?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Diarrheal stools at least 10 times a day sounds like "worse" to me. You need to have your stool tested for a source of infection, which may have come from your untreated well water. Please see your doctor again and ask for a complete set of stools studies ("C&S", "O&P", "C. diff" and special stains for microsporidia and cryptosporidia. Good luck!

Previous
oral sex and STDs
Next
Molluscum contagiosum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.