Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV+ with HIV- partner

Dear Dr.

I have just recently tested positive and started on drug therapy. I have a T-Cell count of 130 and a viral load of 136,000. Despite this I have absolutely no symptoms.

My partner and I who are monogamous and have not had safe sex up till this point need some guidance. While we understand what is considered safer for the negative partner in sexual relations, I am less clear about the risk to me the positive partner.

What activities run a risk of me contracting an Opportunistic infection from him. My partner has been completly supportive but this is hurting our sex life.

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Both of you are at risk for anything that is transmitted sexually: he can get HIV from you (he's lucky if that hasn't happened) and you can conceivably get other STDs from him. Since other infections stimulate the immune system and causes the HIV to grow in stimulated ("activated")T cells, the fewer other infections you get, the better off you'll be. So whenever you or he inserts a penis into another body cavity, it should be covered with a condom.

Lymphoma and Autoimmune disease
Tremor in Hand, progressive symptoms