Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Could This Be Pneumonia?

Hi Doctor: Thanks for such a informative forum, and for responding to such an array of questions. I'm HIV+ with a chronic lung disorder, and lately I've be experiencing intense soreness in my rib cage area. It feels as if I've done 50 or more sit-ups (which I haven't). The soreness is more pronounced when I inhale. My doctor acts as if there is nothing for me to be concerned about (and maybe its not), but the doctor hasn't requested any kinds of test to be taken either. Might this be a sign of Pneumonia? I am coughing up a little flem (its mainly white). I have not been put on any HIV meds yet. I trust my doctor, because she is an HIV specialist, but I'm also wondering if I may be one of those people who falls through the cracks (in the catergory of minorities) I've definitely noticed that some people get optimum care, and others are pushed to the side. It's very frightening for me. And I don't know where to turn to. You are the only person (and persons) that give the HIV community, as a whole, the answers to many of our questions that our doctors don't bother to answer (either because of not knowing or not caring to inform us). Please keep up the excellent work, and I hope this forum never dies (even though I feel that I am).

With gratitude and appreciation, I Thank You All

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You don't say what your chronic lung disorder is, but your symptoms are suspicious for pneumonia-- at least it should be ruled out. Talk to your doctor about getting a chest X-ray. Anyone with a chronic lung problem who has new symptoms needs to be evaluated. Good luck!

Cost of OI medicines?
common cold