Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Boils Due to AIDS?

Hi, A friend of mine is sleeping with a girl who has facial and body boils that she claims are due to Gulf war syndrome. She frequently has to go and get them lanced. I'm worried about him. She has been very open about the fact that she has slept with over 300 men, and not always used safe sex. Also many times with multiple partners. My older brother has had AIDS for 13yrs. These boils look exactly like the ones that he has had to deal with over the years. Can you give me the name of this kind of infection? Am I way off base? Maybe I'm worring for nothing,but I don't want my friend to go through what my brother has. Thanks,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Boils are not specifically associated with HIV, and can happen to both HIV+s and HIV-s. However, your friend must have a screw loose if he is sleeping with someone who has had 300 partners. If he's willing to continue this relationship, he should use a condom religiously.

infection in the groin
symptoms of CMV