Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Shingles ? Please help, suffering.

I recently had unprotected sex , i am a female. i know it was stupid , but i was drinking, no excuse. I did not know this man very well, but he was nice , seemed healthy and claimed he used to be pre-med. About seven days after the incident, I developed a burning ,prickly sensation on my lower thigh . The area covered a circumference of about 5 inches. I would have intermitant stabbing pain in one spot within that burning area. the skin was very sensitive to the touch and when manipulated , felt somewhat painful. This went on for a few days, I am writing to you on the 3rd day of this problem. So far no rash or vesicles have erupted , and it seems to be subsiding somewhat but is still there. I didnt have a fever as far as I know, posssibly a mild one, and no flu like symptoms. He told me that he used zovirax for a quarter sized spot of rash that appeared on his thigh every so often and has been happening for 16 years. I believe he is suffering from shingles and I may have caught this. Please tell me what you think of this, thank you so kindly.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Actually, what you have sounds more like herpes simplex-- a related virus-- than shingles. See a doctor for a definitive diagnosis. If/when viesicles appear, they can be tested for these 2 viruses (HSV and VZV). You may also benefit from acyclovir (Zovirax) or a similar medication.

Is pneumonia a sign of hiv
nephrotic syndrome and HIV?